News: Double delights at Valley Heights!
September starts with a steaming hot range of attractions at your local rail museum.
Fathers' Day: Sunday 1 September
On Sunday 1 September, Fathers’ Day is celebrated with FREE ADMISSION for Dads as part of a family group plus reduced entry fees for other men.
An optional ride on the front of the Steam Tram will be arranged for all the men and a ballot held to ride with the fireman (NB wear solid flat enclosed shoes and long sleeves!). All the museum’s great activities are available for the whole family to enjoy, including working model rooms, artworks and steam rides, with public access to many exhibits.
History week: Sunday 8 September
Sunday 8 September sees a special event to commemorate History Week. With the theme 'Memory & Landscapes', the museum has created many new and ‘one-off’ activities:
Special happenings are set for Sunday 8 September to signify History Week. As well as all the usual fun of steam rides, kids quiz, exhibits, model rooms, art-works, artefacts, memorabilia & more, you’ll see six new or one-off activities on the theme ‘Memory & Landscapes’:
- View newly curated photographic displays exploring the ‘Then & Now’ landscape of the Depot and its surrounds plus a ‘Time Line’ tracing the memories of 150 years of rail on the Blue Mountains
Times: All day
- Relive ‘Memories of a Level Crossing’ — a local resident recalls teenage years spent ‘minding’ level crossing gates and the ensuing rewards!
Times: 10:45, 12:15, 13:45, 15:00
Location: Gazebo inside white museum gates
- Join free walking tours to share memories and experiences of museum co-founder, Ted Dickson
Times: 11:15, 12:45, 14:15
Location: Start point as advised in the shop. N.B. flat solid enclosed footwear essential
- Check out the Museum’s rarely seen Studebaker Fire Engine from the 1940s
This classic unit is open for cab visits and a chat with former members of the Bush Fire Brigade about their memories of the impact of fire on the Valley Heights landscape
Times: All day
- "We're running late for the Caves Express" - see our '1930s passengers' arrive by vintage car and rush to 'catch' their train
See a 1st class carriage from the famous ‘Caves Express’ as it glistens in the daylight.
Times: 11:00, 12:30, 14:00, 15:15
Location: Outside & inside shop, to forecourt & Caves Express carriage
- Create your own
piece of history — a ‘Memory’ or ‘Landscape’ at a drawing/writing station located around the Museum
— a perfect opportunity to share your thoughts and ideas. Make a permanent mark in the Museum’s timeline!
Times: All day
Location: Look for a 'Memory & Landscapes' creative station
- Tram rides — take a ride in a steam tram which ran on Sydney streets from the 1890s to 1930s
Times: 10:15, 11:00, 11:45, 12:30, 13:15, 14:15, 15:30
Location: Tram station near shop
Although some activities overlap, 2.5 hours is recommended as the minimum time for your visit. This should enable you to enjoy all the special events on offer as well as the regular activities.
On both days
Of course, Steam Tram rides throughout the day and all the regular attractions complete a great outing.
On both days, the museum is open from 10:00 until 16:00 (4pm) with last ride at 15:30 (3.30pm). Phone 4751 4638 or check details online