News: History Walks Program for 2019
Presented by: GLENBROOK & DISTRICT HISTORICAL SOCIETY Inc.
All on Saturdays: Walks led by Doug Knowles & Team.
- March 9th 9.00am “Lennox Bridge”
and the old stone quarry, Brookside Creek, Dunn’s Steam Saw Mill relics, and earth dam.
- March 30th 9.00am “The Descent to the West:”
Mt.York : Three short return walks on the three most historic roads to the West: Cox’s Pass 1815, Lawsons Road 1822 and newest Berghofer’s Pass 1909. Includes Tea/coffee, biscuits. Special Walk: $12.00 Adults.
- April 13th 9.00am “Eastern Zig Zag Railway”
This walk on the 1867 Zig Zag Railway & Knapsack Viaduct, also extends to the first improvement, the the Lapstone Hill Tunnel 1892. [East Portal only,] and the wash- away section 1906.
- May 11th 9.00am “Eastern Zig Zag Railway.”
This walk is focussed on the Knapsack Gully stone viaduct and offers good photographic opportunities. In- cludes Gatehouse No. 1, 1867 and the Knapsack refuge sidings 1909.
- June 8th 1.30pm “Duck Hole--Glenbrook Creek.”
Old roadway construction and pump site for railway water supply to old Glenbrook Station.
- June 29th 1.30pm “The Mountains Murders.”
Captain Lee Weller’s grave site and rock inscriptions.
- July 13th 9.00am “Faulconbridge Steam Sawmill Site.”
Engine remnants and other relics. Operated 1914-1925. .
- Aug. 10th 9.00am “Bull’s Creek.”
Railway relics:- Stone dam and steam pump relics.
- Aug 31st 1.30pm “Lapstone Construction Railway.”
1910-1913 and east portal of Lapstone Hill Tunnel 1892.
- Sept. 7th 9.00am “Glenbrook Lagoon Precinct.”
Early campsite and railway dam construction 1880 for water supply to the first Glenbrook Station.
- Sept 28th 9.00am “Glenbrook Heritage Walk.”
Historic sites, houses and West Portal of Lapstone Hill Tunnel--1892. (Last Walk for the year.)
Adults: $10 (Except for Special Walk.)
Accompanied Children under 16yrs: Free
BOOKINGS are ESSENTIAL: Phone Doug on 4751 3275. Please allow the phone to ring longer than usual, for details re meeting place, time and grade of walk. Good walking shoes are essential. Please bring a hat and drinking water. (No dogs please.)
BAD WEATHER ON THE DAY: Excessive wind or rain could cause cancellation due to hazardous conditions.