Steam Tram motor 103A
About the exhibit
TYPE — 0-4-0 ENCLOSED SADDLE TANK STEAM ENGINE — 121 IN CLASS
Sydney steam tram motor 103A, built 1891, operated at the Parramatta Park Steam Tramway until the arson attack at the museum in June 1993. The fire destroyed most stock, and 103A's wooden cab was incinerated at this time but the remainder of the loco was salvaged for restoration and moved to Valley Heights, where a new cab has been built. Restoration was completed in 2005.
Steam Tram and Railway Preservation (Co-op) Society trading as Valley Heights Steam Tramway
In 1879, steam operated tramways were introduced in Sydney, under the control of the Railway Commissioner. Similarly operated systems were later used in Newcastle, Maitland, Broken Hill and between East Maitland-Morpeth, Parramatta-Castle Hill, Campbelltown-Camden and Sutherland-Cronulla. The Sydney and Newcastle systems were eventually electrified but the others, including three isolated lines in Sydney, Sutherland-Cronulla, Arncliffe-Bexley and Kogarah-Sans Souci, were steam worked until their closure. The Campbelltown-Camden and East Maitland-Morpeth lines were eventually operated as light railways and used steam tram motors for a period of their existence.
This exhibit is listed on the NSW State Heritage Register which contains additional information about the exhibit.
The "motors" as the locomotives are called were of a standard design, introduced by the Baldwin Locomotive Works and 100 came from that firm. The remainder were built locally, either by contractors or in the Tramway Department's workshops.
|Cylinders||11 in x 16 in||279 mm x 406 mm|
|Driving wheels||3 ft||914 mm|
|Boiler pressure||130 PSI||896 kPa|
|Tractive effort||5700 lb||2585 kg|
|Total weight||14 tons 1 cwt||14.3 t|
Text from Century Plus of Locomotives, © Australian Railway Historical Society, 1965. Used by permission.
More information and photos
Steam tram motor 1A Powerhouse Museum Collection
Sydney Steam Motor Tram, Wikipedia, accessed 2018-04-18