Valley Heights Locomotive Depot Heritage Museum

Operated by…
Valley Heights Loco Depot Heritage Museum logoValley Heights Steam Tramway logo

Large Exhibits

4 wheel truck S 4360

About the exhibit

Operational exhibit

The Valley Heights S truck is a regular feature on the Valley Heights Mixed. .

Custodian

Steam Tram and Railway Preservation (Co-op) Society trading as Valley Heights Steam Tramway

History

S 4360 was built in 1921.

The original S type open wagons were built between 1907 and 1921 but during the 1940s a replacement programme was instituted with the ordering of 10 000 standard underframes and components from Commonwealth Engineering with the bodies from Clyde Workshops. They were delivered 1945-1958 and were allocated various numbers.

The wagons have a steel underframe with a steel and wood composite body and a wooden floor. The sides are 915 mm high and there is a 2.13 metre downward folding door each side.

Text from Railway freight wagons in New South Wales 1982, © John Beckhaus. Australian Railway Historical Society NSW Division, 1982. Used by permission.

Technical

    Length:   5.49 m
  Width: 2.92 m
  Height: 2.13 m
  Tare: 8 t
  Capacity:   16 t
  Wheelbase:   3.05 m
  S number in service:   1607

Text from Railway freight wagons in New South Wales 1982, © John Beckhaus. Australian Railway Historical Society NSW Division, 1982. Used by permission.

More information and photos

NSWGR S truck, Model Trains and Things, accessed 2018-04-30

S 6542 - Open Wagon, NSW Heritage Register, accessed 2018-04-30